Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Eu" asked for it.

Dear English Answer Man:
What is the point of the word part "EU"? In the real world, I mean--not the weird, sheltered, hole-in-the-wall existence of an English teacher?
(--question adapted from anonymous)

Well...

EUphemisms--nice way of saying rude things. 
Example: Does my tan look natural? 
Euphemism: Um, yes, you've got a deep golden glow.
The truth: You look like a carton of Sunny D.

Mastery of the euphemism is crucial to succeeding in life, making friends, and influencing people. 




4 comments:

  1. I like all the poems you wrote 4 weeks ago, there tite. You think you can help us during summer school

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello English Answerman,
    I don't really think this is true.In my opinion i've never seen someone do that.but i do like the sentence about sunny d, that was really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. English Answerman I think that that is a great example for that word part. I have seen someone do that,and it happens all the time. The sentence about sunny d was really funny.

    ReplyDelete