Thursday, May 10, 2012

Group Work: Awesome or Awful?

I have been hearing some HILARIOUS true stories about group work and group projects from both of my little brothers. It got me to thinking about group work, and I have to say that most teachers probably think group work is the best thing to happen to school since the eraser cap, especially in college. If we want to feel extra special about ourselves, we call it "collaboration."

Not everyone likes group work. Some say it's a waste of time, or that it's unfair because one person usually does all the work (that's what my wife says). In college, students have to schedule meetings outside of class, and apparently that's just too much for some people to handle.

What do you think? Is group work the golden egg of education, or is it a big fat waste of time?

Write up your thoughts on your own blog.  Of course you can use your own experience, but you will also need to visit a few outside sources to get some direct quotes/evidence to back up your opinion. I say the more amusing the better.

You are always welcome to leave a comment below.

3 comments:

  1. Good Topic...I think it is good to have group work at this age but I also think it is a bad idea to have group work also. Especially in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS A REALLY GOOD TOPIC.SOME KIDS SAY GROUP WORK IS FUN. SOME SAY IT IS HARD.IF YOU ARE LIKE ME AND LIKE WORKING ALONE YOU WOULD HATE TO WORK INA GROUP.CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCE IS ON THIS TOPIC. DO YOU LIKE WORKING ALONE OR IN A GROUP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Group work is a terrible idea. Most of the time kids let someone else do all of the work, I know I do sometimes. But when kids are younger think it could work. They're at that age where they don't want to get in trouble with their parents.

    ReplyDelete