Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Students Speak

So whose fault is it when schools fail? Ask a bunch of students and most of them will tell you, it's all the--
STUDENTS'??!! Student calling out students?! What does this mean?

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised by the volume of commentary that placed the blame squarely on the shoulders of apathetic students. Not that I disagree--or agree--but I thought more comments would be gunning for the teacher. In all fairness, many of you who posted admitted that both sides share responsibility for failure, and that sounds...fair.

As a teacher, I can only look to the factors that I control, so it is not especially productive for me to blame students. As a student, however, I would blame myself, just like many of you did.  It is encouraging to read the thoughts of students ready to take charge of their education, and their futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment