Friday, December 21, 2012

Bring on the Hobbits


The Lord of the Rings trilogy was and has been one of my all-time favorites. The scope and immensity of Tolkien's world still blow my mind, and I think any fantasy novel written since then would not have existed without Gandalf, hobbits, the dark lord, the ring, and the rest of Tolkien's Middle Earth.

It is with no small amount of anticipation, then, that I await the big screen debut of The Hobbit. I always thought this book, while a great story, was a bit more childish than the Lord of the Rings. But the big screen edition looks like a lot of fun, and it's been almost a decade since I saw The Fellowship of the Ring right around this time of year.

I'm currently rereading the book, and I'll see the film tonight. Yeah I'm a grown man with a couple of kids, and I'm stoked to see a movie about a small dude with furry feet on a journey to get some treasure back from a dragon. It could be worse, though:

Most people have no problem watching a film with a whiny heroine victim, a half-naked wolf man, and a vampire with a cold stone chest who sparkles in the sunlight. I don't care what Stephanie Meyer says--vampires DIE if they get hit with the sun. They sleep in coffins, they ALL eat human blood, and they most certainly don't strike up syrupy romances with crybaby high school chicks.

I'll stick with wizards, dwarves, and hobbits. Don't let me down, Peter Jackson.

Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment