Monday, March 26, 2012

The Perfect Cup of Coffee



The year was 2003. I was 23 years old, and I had just discovered liquid black gold:

Coffee.

I don’t know what took me so long, but one look at that sparkling pool of pure gorgeous in a blue ceramic cup, and I was hooked. In the last decade, I have come close to perfecting the coffee experience. Read on, and discover how to enjoy the perfect cup of coffee.

Take it Black

I know it might seem bitter at first, but avoid cluttering your coffee with creamers and other additives. The difference in style and quality of coffee comes through much more clearly when it’s not diluted with other ingredients. Plus, you don’t have to worry about the added calories from creamer and sugar. Drink all you want without affecting your waistline!

Find a Partner

No, you don’t need to talk to someone while your drinking coffee, even though coffee and conversation go hand in hand. I’m talking about finding the perfect snack match for your coffee. I prefer something semisweet, like a rich dark chocolate. Stick that dark chocolate in a baked good, like a huge peanut butter chocolate chip cookie, and you’re in business. Chocolate covered nuts and yogurt covered pretzels are also good bets. Even if you’re a loner, this is one partnership you’re sure to enjoy.

Hot Hot Hot

Remember that lady who sued McDonald’s because she spilled hot coffee on herself? Talk about being punished for doing your job. A hot cup of coffee NEEDS TO BE HOT. None of this lukewarm garbage. A few years ago I was at a Starbucks nearby. It was in the afternoon, and I ordered a cup of coffee. (Starbucks is a COFFEE SHOP after all). The coffee was warm, probably because it had been sitting there all day. I asked for another cup, and I kindly added that I didn’t mind waiting while they brewed a fresh pot.

The barrista looked at me like I had asked for a Big Mac and a neck massage: “You want me to make another pot??”

I dunked my hand into the lukewarm cup right before her eyes. “Um, yes please.”

If there’s one thing Starbuck’s should be able to accomplish, it’s a decent cup of coffee. Expect it hot, and accept no substitutes.

Environment

The perfect cup of coffee requires a smooth environment. Find a place that makes you feel comfortable and relaxed. Indoors or out; beside a fire or near a pool; in a low-lit room by yourself, or on crowded boulevard—find a spot that gives you a good vibe, and sip that cup of perfection.

Make Sure You’re Awake!

Most people look at coffee as something to wake you up. Sure, coffee will help get you going, but like most amazing things, coffee is best when you’re awake and alert. If it can take a bleary-eyed college student through the pain and hell of final exams, imagine what it can do for you when you’re bright eyed and bushy tailed!

Best of luck to you as you seek your own cup of liquid perfection.

Photo Credit

4 comments:

  1. Starbucks Coffee are the best coffee ever...even though I had it only once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Starbucks and I prefer my coffee black as well, even though many people say it is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more you have of it, the better it gets. I used to think all coffee tasted the same, but I'm turning into a borderline coffee snob lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes You are English Answer Man...Just Kidding

    ReplyDelete