Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ride a Longboard



Twelve years ago, I hopped on a longboard skateboard for the first time. I'm not much to look at on a skateboard, but one of the small joys of my life is riding snowboard. Longboards seem like the next best thing. It may be different than laying down smooth, floating turns on fresh powder, but carving down empty lanes of blacktop, or lonely bicycle trails does just enough to hold me over until the mercury drops and the snow starts falling. 

6 months ago, my wife bought me a longboard for Father's Day. I ride it every chance I get, but now that I own one, I have started to notice that there are several varieties. I probably should have researched the topic before asking for one, but better late than never. Here's what I found out with respect to the types of longboards:

  • The pin tail: Like it sounds, this one's tail ends in a pin, like teardrop. This is to avoid having the deck make contact with the trucks (the part that the wheels are attached to) on sharp turns. 
  • The dropdeck: I didn't learn much about this one, but the deck actually sits below the level of the trucks, providing an extremely low center of gravity for the rider. I haven't seen any of these on the street. I'm guessing they are for a specific type of elite rider. 
  • Slalom boards: This may not be the correct name, but I read a bit about boards that are shorter, which allows for a smaller turning radius--perfect for weaving in and out of slaloms.
  • Hybrids: Some of these have the kicktail like a regular skateboard, which supposedly allows for more variety when it comes to tricks. Hybrids can also be a bit longer, allowing for more stability on the downhills.
  • Wheels: The wider the wheel, the more grip and stability, but more width, weight, and surface area equals slower acceleration. There is a ton of information out there on wheels, but this was the big take-away for me. 

For average joes like myself, a hybrid or pintail seems to be the best route. Good carving, good flexibility, and perfect for cruising the neighborhood. I've only had mine for a few months, and I'm sure I'll keep learning the months to come. Especially after the snow melts.



No comments:

Post a Comment